As regular followers of the Realista blog know, we’re keen on looking ahead. This forward vision allows us to stay on top of trends in the property market and keep our finger on the local buzzer. In this blog post, we take a look at what’s new in the western Costa del Sol in 2022, specifically in our niche area of Estepona and Marbella.
New hotels on the western Costa del Sol in 2022
In 2022, the luxury hotel sector on the western Costa del Sol welcomes several new additions. They include:
- Club Med Magna Marbella – Club Med returns to Spain after a 20-year absence with a huge resort located in the Sierra Blanca area. The 14-hectare site will include gardens, five pools, two restaurants and a Family Fun Zone. Opening May 2022.
Discover why to buy property in Sierra Blanca
- Hard Rock Hotel Marbella – the emblematic hotel brand opens its first hotel on the western Costa del Sol in June 2022 in the heart of Puerto Banús. By the time it opens, the Hard Rock establishment will have completely transformed the original Andalucia Plaza Hotel.
- METT Estepona – the five-star hotel right on the beach on the New Golden Mile will be the second METT establishment in the world. Opening late spring 2022.
The New Golden Mile is just one of the sought-after residential areas in Estepona – read our guide to all of them.
New events on the western Costa del Sol in 2022
This part of southern Spain has already made a name for itself in the sporting and music worlds and is renowned for its first-class events. 2022 will be no exception when sports enthusiasts and music fans can look forward to the following:
- Starlite Marbella – one of the biggest festivals in southern Spain has already confirmed a long list of superstars for the July/August programme. They include Il Divo, Alan Parsons, Lionel Richie and Simple Minds as well as numerous Spanish artists.
- La Vuelta 2022 – Spain’s signature cycle race includes a stage in Malaga province, taking in the entire Costa del Sol coast. Estepona welcomes the end of the stage with a truly challenging final as competitors cycle up Peñas Blancas to the finish line. See the world’s best cyclists in Estepona on 1 September 2022.
Read 7 reasons to buy property in Estepona in 2022
- Ladies European Tour – LET has two tournaments on the western Costa del Sol next year. The first takes place at La Reserva de Sotogrande in August and the second at a Marbella golf course (probably Aloha Golf) from 24 to 27 November. The latter forms part of the Race to the Costa del Sol.
New in Estepona in 2022
In late 2021, Estepona Council approved its largest budget ever so the town can look forward to several major projects. They include the vast Balcón al Mediterráneo (Balcony over the Mediterranean), designed to link Estepona Port seamlessly to the town.
The project includes gardens and pedestrian areas, but its star turn comes in the 12-storey tower, home to a vertical library. Award-winning architect Salvador Moreno Peralta has put his signature to the iconic building that will house a cultural centre, shops and restaurants as well as the library. Groundbreaking took place in early December 2021 and the project aims to be finished in the first quarter of 2023.
Discover what’s in store for the Spanish property market in 2022
New in property on the western Costa del Sol in 2022
We expect some amazing additions to property listings over the next few months, both in the resale market and the new-build sector. We will, of course, be selecting the very best to offer to our clients.
To be the first to know about them, get in touch with our friendly team with your requirements and we’ll share the latest properties with you.